Want to help people affected by COVID-19? Click here.
Youth Assisting Youth is seeking motivated individuals who meet the expected requirements that include specific qualifications, useful skills, and duties required for the role of Volunteer Tutor.
EXPECTATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1-1 tutors will be matched with a student between the ages of 6- 15 with whom they will meet 1 hour online on a scheduled weekly basis to assist with academics as well as help the student stay connected during a time of social isolation.
- Tutors running group sessions will either be matched with siblings and meet at a regular time or will facilitate drop-in group sessions when needed.
- All tutors are expected to help students based on their needs and Personal Learning Profile which can include activities such as homework help, worksheets, or reading a book together.
- All tutors must be willing to assist students with unique experiences, background, and learning abilities as most of our youth may come from at-risk circumstances, are newcomers, or have diagnosed learning conditions.
- Tutors are expected to run their tutoring sessions to not only be structured and academically focused, but as well as fun, supportive, and interactive.
-Support students between the ages of 6-15 in the GTA and York Region with their academics with virtual 1-1 tutoring or group tutoring sessions via Zoom.
-Commit at least 1 hour a week or more for six weeks, three months, six months, or the entire academic year.
-Focus on subject areas such as reading, math, science, English, French, and history.
-Learn the student's learning style to facilitate tutoring sessions.
-Help the student enjoy learning by making sessions fun and engaging.
-Balance academics with social bonding through timing out focused studying and activity breaks so they feel connected and supported.
-Provide session summaries and feedback through Google Forms to track student's progress.
-Between the ages of 16 and 29
-Must at least have a High School Diploma
-Must have access to the internet, a computer, and headphones to run tutoring sessions
-Must be willing to submit to a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Background Check.
-Must enjoy working with children and youth.
-Respectful, honest, enthusiastic, patient, and encouraging.
-Demonstrated knowledge of at least one elementary or high school subject such as reading, writing, mathematics, sciences and social studies, history, geography, french.
-Knowledge of another foreign language (asset; not required)
-Experience using Zoom and Google Drive. (asset; not required)
-Experience Tutoring or teaching. (asset; not required)