Want to help welcome refugees to Ontario? Click here.
• Offer guidance to assigned newcomers in researching and connecting with settlement services that supports a smooth transition to the community.
• Offer an orientation to the City, community services, community resources, faith organizations, and key landmarks.
• Provide an understanding of the Canadian cultural norms, social etiquettes, common legal concepts, and the concept of multiculturalism.
• Record the needs of the assigned newcomers and report them back to the BRICs program partners for evaluation and assessment of overall program needs
• Maintain a schedule and record of assistance needed/provided to practice a case management approach.
Activities to be undertaken by the volunteers could include a trip to the local library, community centres, grocery stores for shopping locally on a budget, exploration of child care options etc. Volunteers should foster a deep understanding of the issues faced by newcomer families, and ease their experiences by making a positive change including the development of social and professional networks.