Want to help welcome refugees to Ontario? Click here.
A Special Needs Assistant Volunteer will assist with:
1) Special Needs Play Group (SNPG): assisting with set-up and clean-up of gym; interacting with and assisting children who have varying special needs (and their siblings) with play, crafts, sensory activities and group activities in the gym.
2) Special Needs Parent Support Group (SNPSG): assisting with set-up of light snacks for participants; helping create an objective, respectful and confidential environment for SNPSG during peer-led sessions.
Typical schedule is the third Saturday morning of every month for SNPG and the first Wednesday of every month for SNPSG. Specific dates will be confirmed as needed.
• Assist with set-up and clean-up of the sensory room and gym
• Greet children and families upon arrival
• Engage with children during free play
• Help children who have difficulty with transitions, by referring to the visual schedule and visual timer and offering reminders
• Promote inclusion in all activities, providing hand-over-hand assistance when helpful and appropriate
• A clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required
• Experiencing working with people that have special needs (asset)
• First Aid & CPR (asset)
• Ability to interact and engage with children in a fun manner
• Friendly, outgoing demeanour
• Creativity, enjoyment of assisting children with crafts and other sensory activities
Benefits of Position
• Working with military families
• Contributing to the community
• Develop awareness of inclusion for children with special needs
• Develop skills to assist children with special needs to transition to new activities
Interested and qualified parties are encouraged to submit their application online by following this link: https://app.betterimpact.com/PublicOrganization/33b76e5d-afea-4703-a7d3-...