Want to help people affected by COVID-19? Click here.
REPORTING: IS RESPONSIBLE TO AND REPORTS DIRECTLY TO THE SUPERVISOR ON DUTY
FUNCTION: TO PROVIDE SUPPORT AND ASSIST CLIENTS AND STAFF WITH RECREATION ACTIVITIES TO HELP ENHANCE QUALITY OF LIFE
TIME COMMITMENT: 1 - 2 HOURS PER WEEK WITH A MINIMUM COMMITMENT OF 3-6 MONTHS
1) To report to on duty supervisor upon arrival
2) To connect with on duty supervisor or support staff to determine client status
and ability to participate
3) To be welcoming and friendly in an effort to have clients participate in daily
4) To assist client participation in programs as needed. Programs may include but
are not limited to crafting, , games, knitting, mobility exercises, arthritis group
5) To connect with appropriate staff/supervisors should any questions or concerns
6) To socialise with clients by sharing and enjoying the program with them
7) To inform appropriate staff of any program needs, such as supplies etc.
6) To inform Shelter House staff if unable to fulfill commitment within a reasonable
1) Ability to work as part of a team or as an individual
2) Ability to lift up to 20LBS
3) Passion for sharing skills and abilities with others
4) Positive, cheerful attitude
5) Be compassionate, caring and self-motivated
6) Have good communication skills, be a good listener and have ability to follow
7) Ability to represent Shelter House while modeling the core values of the organisation
1) Getting involved in the neighbourhood
2) Building and fostering relationships with people and businesses in our community
3) Assisting Shelter House to best provide for those in need
4) Studies show that volunteering has various health benefits
5) Building skills for a resume and future educational and job prospects
ORIENTATION: The Volunteer Coordinator will provide general orientation to the building and general description of volunteer’s role.
Appropriate Staff will provide orientation to the specific program area, assignment of daily duties and daily program.