Want to help welcome refugees to Ontario? Click here.
Volunteers will be matched with newcomer clients, and assisting in their integration and acculturation to Hamilton in an informal, judgement-free setting. Volunteers in this program should be curious about other cultures, empathetic, patient, and familiar with Canadian life. This is an informal role that is designed to be a friendship that is facilitated between the volunteer and the client.
The volunteer coordinators role is to provide the volunteer with essential training necessary for success and matching the volunteer with an appropriate newcomer client/family.
Volunteers can expect to participate in activities such as:
• Going to a client’s home for dinner/ going out to the park with a family, any other activity that would occur in a typical friendship
• Engage and encourage participants to practice conversational English
• Be a resource for the client about programs/services/events in the Hamilton area that may be relevant or of interest to them.
• Learn about clients cultures and lifestyles
• Fluent in English and interested in developing a friendship with people from diverse cultures, backgrounds and age groups
• Must have a recent police background check (vulnerable sector search)