The Childminder is responsible for providing care and age-appropriate children?s activities for children and youth who have been affected by violence and/or other trauma in a safe and supportive environment.
NYWS volunteer roles are instrumental in providing support within a multi-disciplinary team environment with strong values and a mission and integral to this role is an understanding of trauma-informed, anti-racist/anti- oppression principles and frameworks.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Care for children between the ages of 1 and 12 while parent is in meetings or sessions
- Guide and redirect children in situations of conflict
- Provide and take part in play-based activities that stimulate and support children?s intellectual, physical, social, emotional and language development
- Listening to, encouraging, enabling, stimulating and ensuring the safe keeping of the children
- Facilitate workshops as directed by Women?s Trauma Counsellors or Child & Youth Programmer
- Support other program volunteers on an as needed basis
- Maintain confidentiality of all residents in accordance the policy and procedures of the shelter subject to legal requirements.
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Skills
The Successful Candidate will hold:
- 3-5 years experience working with children and youth
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience and training in Early Childhood Education
- Preference will be given to candidates who represent the population served by NYWS
- Current CPR and First Aid training an asset
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (PVSC/VSS)
The Successful Candidate will possess the following skills:
- Passion and alignment to NYWS?s values, mission, and goals
- Knowledge of the impact of systemic marginalization on women and children, including sexism, racism, poverty, homophobia, transphobia, and dis/ability
- Ability to maintain a mature and realistic approach to the social problems of the client being served and knowledge of and self-awareness around transference and counter-transference
- Professional and empathetic communication skills, as well as strategic problem-solving and collaborative thinking skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a strong dynamic team
- Ability to work collaboratively in a pet-friendly environment
- Strong adherence to ethical policies, procedures, and exercises a high degree of confidentiality and privacy of information as outlined in NYWS policies and procedures, as well as in Trauma-Informed Practice ? Key Principles
NYWS has put into place a number of infection prevention and control measures to prevent
the transmission of COVID-19.
Additionally, this role may have other physical requirements:
- Ability to adhere to all COVID-related physical distancing needs and wear any PPE as mandated by congregate care guidance as well as NYWS policies (face mask and, on occasion, face shield)
- Exposure to disinfectant such as peroxide solution, alcohol-based hand-sanitizer and disinfection wipes (such as Lysol wipes)
- Exposure to illnesses such as cold and influenza on a regular basis
- Exposed to loud sounds and high noise levels on a regular basis
- Exposed to possible risks of managing conflicts amongst women and children in crisis
- Exposure to volatile external threats (abusive partners)
- As employees of an organization committed to harm-reduction, exposure to women who may be under the influence of substances including, but not limited to cannabis.
- Exposure to pets on a regular basis
- Must at all times be able to function effectively and accountably with women, children, and adolescents who may have mental or behavioral challenges. The staff must be able to demonstrate appropriate daily behavior, express appropriate emotions. Hostility, aggression and unnecessary or inappropriate physical actions as well as inappropriate emotional expression are not acceptable.
- 2 to 4 hour shifts - days, evenings and weekends
Start Date: Immediately
Please email rÃ©sumÃ©, along with availability, to Vicky Sage firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line 'Childminder 0720'.
Potential candidates will be contacted.
We respectfully ask no phone calls or visits, and any made will not be returned.