ÉLAN Ontario tire à sa fin - Cliquez ici.
St. John’s is a welcoming and progressive church that supports new and emerging artists. We enjoy a broad range of music in worship and a variety of musical genres. St. John’s is blessed to have a grand piano, an organ, a roster of professional musicians, including cellists and guitarists, as well as a talented congregation.
During Covid, our Music Committee reintroduced non-traditional secular and popular music with spiritual or inspirational themes into our Sunday services and helped with our Virtual Community Choir. We are looking for someone to lead and help us grow this choir, particularly as we re-open our church.
• Helps nurture the spiritual life of the congregation and community through music
• Meets with the Music Committee about once a month to help select music that is accessible and culturally diverse and select musicians from our roster
• Helps with music planning, including planning for holidays and special events
• Communicates with the Priest-in-Charge and ministry team and with scheduled musicians
• Records accompaniment tracks, when needed, and distributes these tracks along with sheet music to choir members via email
• Leads choir during rehearsals as Covid precautions allow (timing and frequency to be determined)
• Provide leadership in music during services, when possible, by directing the congregation and choir in the singing of hymns, anthems, and other songs
• Promotes the development of the choir and an atmosphere of respect and camaraderie
• Creative and energetic
• Ability to demonstrate and teach by singing
• General music training and experience – ability to read and work with a choral score
• Ability to play the piano
• Patient and encouraging attitude
• Self-directed with good time management skills
• Experience with audio equipment and music recording technology is an asset
• Ability to attend in-person rehearsals and performances in Toronto (when Covid precautions allow)
• Knowledge of Zoom and Google Docs, WeTransfer, or Dropbox
As a high profile position, our Volunteer Music and Choir Director must complete Safe Church/Screening in Faith training and complete a Criminal Record Check, as provided by our church.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, we invite you to send a resume and cover letter, with a summary of relevant qualifications and reasons for interest in this position, to the email address email@example.com with the subject line “Volunteer Music and Choir Director”. No phone calls, please.
St. John’s West Toronto Anglican Church supports diversity and welcomes volunteer applications from people who identify as BIPOC, as Indigenous, as racialized, as newcomers to Canada, or as persons with a disability, and from persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.
We thank all potential volunteers for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.