Reports to: Executive Director.
The Director performs some or all of the following:
- Participate with other Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization
- Identify, assess, and inform other Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Act as a professional advisor along with other Board of Directors on all aspects of the organizationâ s activities
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization when required
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organizationâ s community profile Operational planning and management
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Board and Donors
- Participate in the preparation of policies and procedures to implement
- Participate in reviewing existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate Program planning and management
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organizationâ s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Participate in the monitoring of the delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality Financial planning and management
- Work with the Treasurer and other Board of Directors to prepare a comprehensive annual budget
- Work with Treasurer and other Board of Directors to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
- Research funding sources and assist in writing funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate Community relations/advocacy
- Communicate with partners, clients and donors to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization Risk management
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organizationâ s people (clients, partners, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks
Skills And Experience Required
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/ voluntary organizations
- University degree or post graduate academic standing
- 2 or more years of progressive experience in a voluntary sector organization an asset
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including: employment standards, human rights, charities
- Knowledge of current challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
- Proficiency in using Microsoft office, Internet and understands working virtually Personal characteristics The Director should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
10 hours per month
- verbal communication
- reading and writing
Exposure to issues surrounding International development work in Southern Africa. Ability to travel in North America and Southern Africa for conferences, mission, events etc. Candidate will be able to gain Board/special committee experience and professional reference.
Please send applications to: